Skip to main content

Botanica I


Botanica I - encaustic w / mixed media  2009

This is one of seven botanical works that will be featured in the Second Nature show along with the gems and landscapes. Below you can see how the paintings play off of each other. I imagine these as if you were to enter one of my larger landscapes and return with clippings and specimens for further study. Hard to believe the show opens in just 5 more days. I am looking forward to seeing dear friends and meeting new ones. Tomorrow I will post another gem: Serpentine


Botanical Specimens I, II & III as a grouping
Click on the art to view full images.

Comments

M said…
I definitely like your botanica work but I am so attracted to those little gems. It's all about one's preference. I love to see so much packed into a little space. That's always a challenge for an artist.

I know a little about working with shellac and encaustic. The first time I read about it, I felt it must be very unhealthy not to mention unsafe. Am I wrong?
Alicia Tormey said…
Hi Margaret: you are so right about the small works being a challenge. Just as much effort goes into them as a larger piece and every detail gets scrutinized more closely.

As far as safety is concerned, you do have to take extra precautions when working with encaustic and other materials that may have toxic fumes like shellac. I recommend wearing a ventilator mask as well as having good airflow in your workspace.
I also keep a fire extinguisher close by just in case.
M said…
Thanks for the response to my question. I am well ventilated for my general encaustic work but when I hear fire extinguisher I get worried. I will just admire shellac from a distance I think.

I saw your work several years ago for the first time and it has remained in my mind since then. That's a good indication of its impact on a person. Your subject matter always appeals to me.
Alicia Tormey said…
Wow Margaret - Your comments really gave me a boost! Thank you for your generosity!