Skip to main content

Troubleshooting and Materials - L@F 6/22/18

Here are the show notes for the latest... 
Instagram Live @ Five
Original Broadcast: June 22, 2018

Thank you for taking time out of your busy, creative life to join me on Instagram each Friday for Live @ Five!

This week's episode was driven by your amazing questions so please keep them coming. DM me your questions and discussion topics to @AliciaTormey over on Instagram.

First, some general housekeeping and announcements...

Time Zone Chart
  • I get a lot of questions each week about when Live @ Five goes live in various countries around the world so my team created a handy chart to help you figure out when to tune in based on your time zone:

Sharing Live @ Five on other platforms
  • Instagram has just released a new featured called IGTV
    • On this platform Instagram users can create their own channel and share video content longer than is allowed on regular Instagram.
    • I will be sharing some Live @ Five highlights on my IGTV channel @AliciaTormey, so be sure to check it out.
  • Last week's Live @ Five "Road Map to Finding Your Own Voice" will be posted on the Learn to Burn Facebook page shortly!

Response to previous Live @ Five episodes
  • I received such an amazing response from last week's episode "Road Map to Finding Your Own Voice."
    • Many wonderful messages and emails sharing stories and personal experiences.
    • Thank you so much for these, they encourage me and let me know that I am adding value to your artistic lives with these live shows.
  • The episode from the week before was about "Taking your Passion to a Profession."
    • I wanted to remind you that this is not the only path as an artist.
    • If you want to just make art for yourself and not make a business of it that is OK.
    • This does not make you any less legitimate as an artist.

This week's topics...

Revitalizing Old Primed Panels
  • Encaustic cures over about an 18 month window.
  • To work on semi-cured panel you need to reheat and re-liquefy the old wax before introducing fresh wax.
    • If you do not reheat the wax you run the risk of the old and fresh layers not adhering to one another.
    • Use a nice hot torch at a "Fuse to Abuse" intensity, and walk that flame across the entire surface.
    • See the torch chapter of the Learn to Burn online course for more information on torch intensity.

Propane and Propane Accessories
  • I use a propane blowtorch almost exclusively.
    • Burning temperature of propane VS other gasses
      • Butane burns at 3,580° F
      • MAPP burns at 3,670° F
      • Propane burns at 3,600° F
      • Seems like small differences, but I can feel the difference when I'm torching and I prefer the propane temperature. 
    • A single propane tank lasts me around 3 months of extensive use, so depending on your habits it could last you much longer. 
    • Pro-tip: always have a backup tank and torch handy!
  • The torch heads I use.
    • I use a Bernzomatic propane tank with either their TS-3000 or TS-3500 torch heads. 
      • The TS-3500 replaced the TS-3000 and it is just as good.
      • You can still find the TS-3000 at some retailers or online.
      • They often come in kits with a tank and a head sold together. 
      • I prefer these heads because they have a smaller nozzle and are incredibly versatile with a lot of range for your flame intensity from a kiss of heat to a full on "Fuse to Abuse" heat.
    • I very rarely use a larger torch, but when I need more burning power for larger panels I use an Iwatani torch or a Bernzomatic TS-8000.
    • Whatever torch you decide to use, make sure it is a trigger start model (that's what the TS stands for.)
    • Don't ever force ignite your torch, if it will not start that means something is wrong.
  • How to dispose of empty canisters.
    • Most cities has a place for proper, safe disposal of hazardous materials so check with your municipal website.
    • You can also inquire about proper disposal of empty tanks at your place of purchase.

Pigments
  • In the Learn to Burn e-course I use Daniel Smith brand titanium white dry pigment.
    • This may no longer be available, but you do not need to get this exact brand of pigment to get good results. 
      • I currently use Gamblin brand dry pigments to make my colored wax and shellac.
      • For any Canadian readers, check out Kama Pigments in Montreal.
    • You do not even need to get pigment at all, you can buy ready-made encaustic color and use shellac in its natural amber.
      • I recommend Enkaustikos or R&F for their ready-made encaustic paints. 
      • I use so much white wax that I make my own using pigments. 
    • To make colored wax using pigment.
      • I use a ratio of about one heaping tablespoon of pigment to each pound of medium.
      • According to Cook's Illustrated, to make a proper martini, you need to stir for two minutes, so think of this when mixing in your pigment!
    • Use titanium white and NOT zinc white.
      • Zinc white is inherently translucent and you will never be able to achieve a perfectly opaque white with it. 
  • Proper handling and disposal 
    • Any time you handle dry pigment wear gloves and dispose of them before touching something else.
    • Always wear a mask, a regular painters mask will do, to avoid inhaling any of the airborne pigment.
    • Any excess pigment can be disposed off as long as it is contained in something.
      • Wet a paper towel with rubbing alcohol to wipe up/soak up any stray pigment so it is safely embedded.

Beeswax
  • I get my beeswax from Dadant Beekeeping Supplies
    • They have both white and yellow beeswax available in one pound or one ounce blocks. 
      • Note that yellow wax will give a warm tint to everything you do. 

To catch the next Live @ Five tune in to my Instagram @AliciaTormey every Friday at 5pm PST. 
As always, thanks for watching, thanks for listening, and thanks for reading!

Comments