Skip to main content

Gold Rush



Back in the studio and working on some fun projects after what has been an amazing summer and action packed August. Here are a few photo highlights from last month....

I gold leafed my arm for the encore opening at Grover Thurston. I wanted to wear a big metal cuff and couldn't find one so I painted this on my arm using traditional gold leaf. It was a bit like having a golden tattoo and it was easily removed the next day with a little tea tree oil.

My gold leafed "tattoo".

Showing off my golden cuff at the Grover /Thurston Gallery. 
The following week I had guests in the studio as part of a stock photography shoot for Getty Images. Photographer, Tom Barwick, and his lovely assistant, Brooke, photographed me working in my space. 

Photo shoot in progress...




One of the final images from Tom Barwick's photo shoot.
A few days after these photos were taken I boarded a plane headed for the Hawaiian island of Maui. It was my first visit there and I spent the entire week in the ocean. The reefs provided an abundance of inspiration in color, texture and form that I know will have an impact on my work in the future. I got to swim with majestic sea turtles and learned how to smile underwater with a snorkel in my mouth. Even had the chance to see an art installation by Patrick Dougherty at the Hui No'eau Visual Art Center on Maui.

Felt like a 12 year old kid in the water!


Installation by Patrick Dougherty


Patrick Dougherty installation at Hui No'eau.
With bags still packed from Hawaii I jumped in the car and began my road trip over to Sun Valley, Idaho, for an opening of new work at the Gilman Contemporary. Drove through smoke filled highways to get there but was happy to find it clear and beautiful upon arrival.

Smoke painted hills in Idaho.

Driving through a fog bank of smoke on the way to Sun Valley.
Enjoyed a gorgeous evening at the Gilman Contemporary gallery with the Gilman girls and closed out the summer with one last show of the season. Sold a few paintings, drove a few hundred miles and made it back to Seattle just in time for the September art walk.


Me with the ladies of Gilman Contemporary: Casey, Me, Raine and L'Anne
Detail of new work from the Gilman Contemporary show


Opening night at Gilman Contemporary.
Phew...ok...so that's the month in review...I left out the parts with scorpions, sharks, flea markets, festivals and reunions. I hope your summer has been an adventurous one too! Starting up some new projects now and preparing for my next show in February 2013 at the Chase Young gallery in Boston.  Stay tuned for some photos of new work in progress.





Comments

Très bon reportage. Les photos sont vraiment intéressantes.
Bonne soirée,Alicia
Alicia Tormey said…
Thank you for commenting Roger!
Neo said…
I love your work !
congratulations !!
Anonymous said…
love your work and your body art...Im curious what you used to adhear the gold leaf?