Skip to main content

Flying Colors...


No time to dye eggs this year...I've been too busy working with color in the studio! Sharing a few images here from a new series that is beginning to take shape. I'm enjoying the excitement of these saturated and vibrant pigments suspended in layers of wax. Some of them remind me of the jewel-toned hard candy my grandmother used to make.




In May, a few of these new paintings will make a cameo appearance at the San Francisco Art Market courtesy of the Gilman Contemporary. More will be on display at the Grover Thurston Gallery during my solo exhibition that opens July 5th, 2012.  In my next post I will let you in on another project that was sparked by this body of work. HINT: You'll see my art on the slopes next winter!
To learn more about Alicia Tormey visit aliciatormey.com and Alicia Tormey on Facebook

Comments

Maureen said…
Alicia, your new paintings are stunning! I like to
He textures, wild colors and swinging movement. Made me enlarge the photos and look really close I was so fascinated by your technique. They both have the feeling of gypsy dancers, to me
Alicia Tormey said…
Maureen: Thank you for commenting! I love your observations and your description of "gypsy dancers".Cheers ~ A.
Joyce Gehl said…
winged jewels. spectacular!
Carole Reid said…
I can understand your excitement....these are stunning!
Sharon said…
I am curious what you mean by saturating pigments suspended in wax. It doesn't sound like you are using was as a resist. How do you saturate your colors in the wax? Your paintings are absolutely gorgeous.
shellonwheels said…
Alicia,
Just saw this painting for the first time and I am in love with it. The colours, (spelling is Canadian) shapes, tone - all of it just takes my breath away!
How fortunate you are to have such a gift - and thanks for sharing with others!
Shellonwheels
Anonymous said…
Fantastic and inspiring. I spose I've have to get the paint box out and have another go...
Shelley Whiting said…
I love how free the flowers look. I do like the sense of movement and free energy. Wonderful work.