Skip to main content

Solstice at the Equinox


Last night I attended the Annual Open House event at the Equinox Studios  located in the south Seattle industrial area known as Georgetown. Even the torrential rains did not keep art enthusiasts away and the place was packed. The studios here are filled with some very talented folks in a wide range of creative disciplines. One of my favorite aspects of the evening was the poetry readings. The first took place on an improvised platform appropriately called the Fork Lift Stage 
Poet, Greg Bem, climbs high on the Fork Lift Stage.


Poetry was blasted throughout the warehouse setting and a small crowd gathered to listen.
FORKLIFT POETRY included poems read by: Kim Ionesco, Deborah Henry, Richard Lemmert, Greg Bem, M. Anne Sweet, emcee - NIGHTSHIFT POETRY included poems read by Sasha Goodwin, Alex O. Bleecker, Paul Nelson, Jack Remick, M. Anne Sweet, emcee

Painter, Melinda Hannigan, in her Equinox studio.

Artist, Gail Howard, discusses her work with artist Maxine Mattson.
Because the Equinox building is located in a heavy industrial area it's studios are well suited to artisans working in more rugged art forms such as blacksmiths, sculptors and custom fabricators.  One metal worker caught my eye because who could resist picking up a little chainmail? Especially when it's made by an artist who goes by the name Tobasco.


Love this! My score of the evening...a new hand-forged chainmail cuff!

Meanwhile...back in my studio...slow but steady progress is being made as I paint my way up the path to my next solo show opening in February 2011. Still working on an exhibition title but today I settled on “Remote Regions”.

Two 30"x 30" encaustic panels work together or on their own.
Works in progress in the studio.
A majority of the work is unfolding as abstracted landscapes but I will have a few experimental pieces in this show as well.  

Experimenting with ethereal drips and layers.

Still a long way to go on this one but I am intrigued by the vertical format and what's happening below the surface.

Comments

Kim Ionesco said…
Wow. I love the ethereal drips and layers piece...I can't wait to see more. Stunning.
Alicia, your ethereal drips and layers experiment has taken my breath away. I am enchanted by your landscapes and it is your work that has lead me away from my oils to experiment with encaustics. Thankyou for the inspiration. I can wait to see the other pieces you create for your show.
ZenDotStudio said…
Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces. I love the 3D look of the drips, like so many stones on the beach. And I love the movement in the vertical piece.
Very alluring and exquisite work.